Saturday 24 October 2015

Resin Experiments.


I've finally started to produce objects, even if they're materials experiments. Resin is a really versatile tool for the encapsulation of objects and a material I feel I will be using quite frequently throughout this project. It allows for the preservation of an object in almost any form, with the transparency letting light filter through the object as a whole. Dye can also be added to produce colour and opacity giving further versatility. Although brittle it is strong enough for purpose and light weight enough to be used for a prosthetic.


The image above shows two, almost, finished pieces. They just require a bit of polishing to reduce some of the unwanted textures on the outside. 



The main component of the resin I used was a polyester in styrene which when mixed with a catalyst (methyl ethyl ketone) solidifies. Silicone is best used for the mould as it can withstand the exothermic reaction, the heat given off as the resin solidifies.


I just used readily available silicone baking equipment and ice lolly moulds to produce my shapes, but creating a custom cast will be something I attempt in further experiments. 






I shall be posting more on these as I finish the rest of the series. 


Always wear your P.P.E.







No comments:

Post a Comment