Sunday 11 October 2015

Workspace.

 The space you work in as an artist, or a craftsperson, is extremely important. Saying that it's also a subjective matter, the most important thing in my mind is working in a space that feels comfortable to you. This workspace must also be able to facilitate your needs as an artist however, finding the balance between these two factors is what makes a workspace, what allows you to make to the fullest of your abilities.


 I love my workspace, it feels comfortable, there's plenty of natural light, it's open plan, views to the garden and there's a nice big sofa for reading. Saying this doesn't mean I'm blind to its drawbacks.


 Its openness gives me freedom and room to spread out, to fully consider my works side by side. The drawbacks are that this is space in my families home, the  openness I love also means my family can see in, in a way invading my creative space (as an idea, not a physical area, they own the house, it's really their space). As the room is out of the way, generally no-one else is using it so this is minimised. 


 Using a family space also means I'm restricted in the processes I can use. Nothing too messy. The fact is though, that I rarely use any processes like that, my workspace is mainly used for drawing, design and painting. Any other processes I need require machinery that I couldn't afford anyway, so I'm more than happy to design in this space and use college facilities to create and realise my designs. This separation of space actually suits me, I enjoy having one area to think and process and another to create, I feel it gives me more time to think about what I'm making and the reasons I'm making it. 

 The restrictions imposed by money also play a part in my choice of space, I simply couldn't afford to spend money on renting a studio. Travel to and from a studio also costs, in time and money. For my self I'm also not too sure if it'd be worth it. I understand the need to think critically of the space in which you work, but at the moment I'm more than happy with where I work. This may change as I develop, or start to need a more professional space, but for the moment this is more than fine with me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment